secondary: years 7-8
English & Maths Booster
- Closely follows the Secondary National Curriculum
- English and Maths topics taught that are specific to KS3
- Small groups ensuring ample individual attention (1 tutor to 8 pupils max)
- Formal assessments with detailed termly reports
- Enrolment at any time of the year
What will your child learn?
Our Secondary English and Maths Booster programme designed for children in years 7 and 8 in secondary school, ensures your child develops a sound grasp of core English and Maths topics at the start of their secondary education. The programme has been developed by qualified maths and English teachers to compliment the Secondary National Curriculum for Maths and English.
- Reading: Sentences, paragraphs, structure, text types, summarising material, character, atmosphere & setting, analysing persuasive texts
- Writing: Sentences, structure & paragraphs, tone & style, formal & informal, preparing & drafting, writing to inform & explain, writing to describe, writing to persuade, argue & advise, writing to review & comment, writing to analyse, creative & narrative writing
- Spoken English: Speaking, debating & arguing, drama, analysing spoken English
- Algebra: Expressions & formulae, inequalities, equations, graphs, patterns & sequences
- Shapes, space & measures: Transformations, symmetry, coordinates, perimeter, area, volume, measurement, trigonometry, Pythagoras, angles, shapes, time, locus
- Numbers: Place value, distance, speed & time, rounding & estimating, ratio and proportion, prime numbers, factors and multiples, powers & roots, decimals, positive & negative numbers, operations, fractions, percentages
- Handling data: Collecting, recording & representing data, averages, probability
Fees, discounts & support
annual one-off fee
MONTHLY TUITION FEES
- 1 hour of maths tuition followed by 1 hour of English tuition every week
- Parents receive regular weekly verbal/written feedback and a detailed end of term report
- Small age specific key stage 3 groups with a maximum of 8 pupils to 1 tutor
Reduce your tuition fees by up to 85%
1. When can my child start?
You can start at any time of the academic year and your child(ren) will make progress. However, to get the most out of the booster classes we recommend starting at the beginning of the academic year.
2. What year groups are the booster classes for?
Our secondary English and Maths booster classes are age specific classes for children in Key Stage 3 (years 7 or 8). All our booster tuition sessions are delivered in age appropriate classes.
3. How long are the booster classes?
Our English and Maths booster group sessions are 2 hours and 10 minutes long. Children have a one hour English lesson, then a 10-minute break followed by a second hour Maths lesson.
4. How many children are there in the booster classes?
5. How will you teach my child(ren)?
Children learn in various ways whether it be visual, auditory, reading / writing or kinesthetic. All our tutors are very experienced with teaching children using various methods to ensure they understand what is being taught. Tutors give lots of examples whether it be using the whiteboard, discussing verbally or demonstrating practically.
6. Will my child(ren) receive homework?
7. How much homework will my child(ren) receive?
Homework will vary on a week by week basis. However, if a child would like additional homework, the tutor can make the relevant arrangements within reason.
8. Will I be informed regularly of my child(ren)s progress?
9. What qualifications and experience do the tutors have?
All our secondary tutors are subject specialists and the vast majority are also qualified teachers with Qualified Teacher Status (QTS). Our secondary tutors have experience delivering the Secondary National Curriculum for their specialist subject, be it maths or English, within a school-based setting.
10. What will they be taught for English and Maths?
We have carefully planned weekly lessons for the whole year. Topics that are taught are all in line with the current Secondary Maths and English National Curriculum. A list of topics can be found at the top of this page.