eleven plus: years 4-5
Eleven Plus 1-2-2 Tuition
- Tutored by qualified teachers who are 11+ specialists
- Programme designed for the CEM eleven plus examination format
- Children tutored on a 1-2-2 basis ensuring ample individual attention
- Formal assessments with detailed termly reports
- Ofsted registered centres for your peace of mind
What will your child learn?
With 1 tutor to 2 student, our Eleven Plus 1-2-2 Tuition ensures pupils receive ample individualised attention. Lessons follow a bespoke personalised learning programme geared towards the CEM Eleven Plus University of Durham Examinations. This exam format is used by the Walsall/Wolverhampton, Birmingham and Gloucestershire consortium schools. Our tutors have an in depth understanding of eleven plus material and all eleven plus tutors are experienced and fully qualified school teachers with QTS.
- Parts of speech – Verbs, nouns, adjectives, prepositions, adverbs
- Punctuation – commas, brackets, apostrophes, speech marks, colons, semi-colons
- Spellings – plurals, homophones, prefixes, suffixes
- Awkward spellings – such as ie/ei, double/single consonants
- Word Types – alliteration, onomatopoeia, metaphor, simile, personification, abbreviations, acronyms, synonyms, antonyms
- This area overlaps with English considerably, in these lessons we focus on question types that children will encounter for the eleven plus
- Comprehension skills – understanding words; finding information; recognising main ideas in paragraphs and whole text; sequencing
- Cloze passages – using rules of English; missing letters; missing words; word banks
- Working with numbers – place value; rounding up and down; addition / subtraction / multiplication / division; multiplying and dividing by 10, 100 and 1000
- Number knowledge – square numbers; negative numbers; fractions; factors, multiples and primes; ratio and proportion; introduction to algebra
- Spotting patterns – counting; pointing; shading and line types; order and position; rotation; reflection; layering
- 3D shapes – rotation; nets and cubes
- Question types – similarities, sequences, analogies, symmetry, codes, hidden shapes, matrices, hexagonal grid
Fees, discounts & support
annual one-off fee
MONTHLY TUITION FEES
- Only 2 students to 1 qualified eleven plus tutor, ensuring extremely individualised and targeted support
- Individualised lessons covering eleven plus specific English, Maths, verbal reasoning and/or non verbal reasoning relevant to the CEM Durham University administered examination format
- Parents receive regular weekly verbal/written feedback and a detailed end of term report
Reduce your tuition fees by up to 85%
1. When can my child start?
You can start at any time of the academic year and your child(ren) will make progress. However, we strongly recommend that eleven plus students start lessons at the latest from September in year 5. The eleven plus is an extremely intense programme of study and as a result the earlier a child starts the better.
2. How long are the lessons?
Our 1-2-2 lessons are hourly and we recommend at 1 hour a week for year 4 children and ideally 2 hours a week fr year 5 children.
3. How many children are there in the lesson?
There will be one tutor dedicated to only two students during all 1-2-2 tutoring sessions making them an extremely targeted form of learning support.
4. What will my child be taught?
5. How will you teach my child?
Children learn in various ways whether it be visual, auditory, reading / writing or kinesthetic. All our tutors are very experienced with teaching children using various methods to ensure they understand what is being taught. Eleven plus tutors give lots of examples whether it be using the whiteboard, discussing verbally or demonstrating practically.
6. Where will my child(ren) work?
7. Will my child receive homework?
Yes. Children are given homework on a weekly basis (except for assessment weeks). All homework is based on what a child has learnt in the lesson and is designed to reinforce their learning. Once returned, homework is marked and explained with further examples.
8. How much homework will my child get?
Homework will vary on a week by week basis. Unlike our English and Maths booster classes, Our eleven plus courses do require considerably more homework to be completed. The homework starts off slow at the beginning of the programme and builds up considerably as the programme progresses.