eleven plus: year 5
Year 5 Eleven Plus Booster
- Tutored by qualified teachers who are 11+ specialists
- Programme designed for the CEM eleven plus examination format
- Small groups ensuring ample individual attention (1 tutor to 8 pupils max)
- Formal assessments with detailed termly reports
- Ofsted registered centres for your peace of mind
What will your child learn?
Our Year 5 Eleven Plus Booster class is geared towards the CEM Eleven Plus University of Durham examination format. This exam format is used by the Walsall/Wolverhampton, Birmingham and Gloucestershire consortium schools. Tutoring sessions are targeted towards developing the core eleven plus skills of VR, English, maths and NVR. In addition to this, there is a focus on exam technique and speed.
- Parts of speech – Verbs, nouns, adjectives, prepositions, adverbs
- Punctuation – commas, brackets, apostrophes, speech marks, colons, semi-colons
- Spellings – plurals, homophones, prefixes, suffixes
- Awkward spellings – such as ie/ei, double/single consonants
- Word Types – alliteration, onomatopoeia, metaphor, simile, personification, abbreviations, acronyms, synonyms, antonyms
- This area overlaps with English considerably, in these lessons we focus on question types that children will encounter for the eleven plus
- Comprehension skills – understanding words; finding information; recognising main ideas in paragraphs and whole text; sequencing
- Cloze passages – using rules of English; missing letters; missing words; word banks
- Working with numbers – place value; rounding up and down; addition / subtraction / multiplication / division; multiplying and dividing by 10, 100 and 1000
- Number knowledge – square numbers; negative numbers; fractions; factors, multiples and primes; ratio and proportion; introduction to algebra
- Spotting patterns – counting; pointing; shading and line types; order and position; rotation; reflection; layering
- 3D shapes – rotation; nets and cubes
- Question types – similarities, sequences, analogies, symmetry, codes, hidden shapes, matrices, hexagonal grid
Fees, discounts & support
annual one-off fee
MONTHLY TUITION FEES
- 4 hours of weekly eleven plus tuition covering key areas of English, verbal reasoning, maths and non verbal reasoning
- Parents receive regular weekly verbal/written feedback and detailed end of term report
- Small year 5 specific group with a maximum of 8 pupils to 1 tutor in the main class
Reduce your tuition fees by up to 85%
1. When can my child start?
You can start at any time of the academic year and your child(ren) will make progress. However, we strongly recommended that year 5 students start lessons from September in year 5. The Year 5 11+ is an extremely intense programme and as a result we recommend a child starts this as early as possible.
2. What year groups are the booster classes for?
The year 5 11+ booster groups are only for children in year 5.
3. How many hours is the year 5 11+ booster?
Our year 5 eleven plus booster classes are 4 hours weekly. children study for 2:10 minutes on the weekend, this is the main class. They then study an additional 2:10 minutes on one of the weekday evenings, this is a revision class. Children study English, verbal reasoning, maths and non verbal reasoning lesson.
4. Does my child have to attend the revision class during the week?
We strongly recommend they attend as it is a part of the course and they will be missing out on a complete programme of study.
5. How many children are there in the booster classes and revision classes?
We have a fixed ratio of up to 8 children to every 1 tutor within our booster classes. Our Revision Classes have a larger ratio due to it being an addition to the main class.
6. How will you teach my child(ren)?
Children learn in various ways whether it be visual, auditory, reading / writing or kinesthetic. All our tutors are very experienced with teaching children using various methods to ensure they understand what is being taught. Eleven plus tutors give lots of examples whether it be using the whiteboard, discussing verbally or demonstrating practically.
7. Will my child(ren) receive homework?
8. How much homework will my child(ren) receive?
Homework will vary on a week by week basis. Unlike our English and Maths booster classes, Our eleven plus courses do require considerably more homework to be completed. This starts off slow in year 4 and builds up considerably in year 5.
9. Will I be informed regularly of my child(ren)s progress?
10. What qualifications and experience do the tutors have?
All our eleven plus tutors are fully qualified teachers with Qualified Teacher Status (QTS). In addition to this our eleven plus tutors have specialist knowledge , experience and skills around delivering content relevant to the eleven plus entrance examinations.