GCSE: years 9-11
English and Maths Booster
- Closely follows relevant GCSE English & Maths specifications
- Small groups ensuring ample individual attention (1 tutor to 8 pupils max)
- Weekly reports provide regular feedback
- Formal assessments with detailed termly reports
- Enrolment at any time of the year
GCSE English and Maths Tutors
What will your child learn?
Our GCSE English and Maths Booster programmes are run for students in years 9, 10 and 11. The programme ensures pupils develop a sound grasp of English and Maths topics, skills and concepts in time for their final GCSE examinations. The programme has been developed by qualified maths and English teachers to compliment the Secondary KS4 National Curriculum for Maths and English and closely follows requirements of all the GCSE examination boards.
- Analysing fiction: Fiction text types, setting, themes, characterisation & narrative voice, language & structure, annotating texts, responding to a fiction text
- Analysing non-fiction: Non-fiction text types, purpose & audience, language & structure, responding to a non-fiction text
- Comparing texts: How to compare texts
- Writing: Context, audience and purpose, writing fiction, writing non-fiction, planning, organising information and ideas, using language effectively, literary techniques, vocabulary
- Additional topics: How to compare texts, spelling, punctuation, grammar, speaking & listening, personal presence
- Shakespeare: Macbeth, Much Ado About Nothing, Romeo and Juliet
- Post 1914 Prose/Drama: An inspector Calls
- 19th-century prose: A Christmas Carol, Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde, Great Expectations
- Poetry: Poems, Writing and analysing poetry
- Number: Whole numbers, decimals, fractions, percentages, converting between fractions, decimals & percentages, approximation, multiples, factors, powers & roots, standard form, surds, financial mathematics
- Algebra: Algebraic expressions, algebraic formulae, laws of indices, solving linear equations, solving simultaneous equations, solving quadratic equations, inequalities, sequences, graphs, transformation of curves, algebraic fractions
- Ratio, proportion & rates of change: Ratio in context, direct & inverse proportion
- Geometry & measure:Angles, lines & polygons, loci and constructions, 2-dimensional shapes, 3-dimensional shapes, circles, sectors & arcs, circle theorems, transformations, Pythagoras’ theorem, units of measure, trigonometry, vectors
- Statistics: Collecting, representing & analysing data,
- Problem solving: Solving number, graphical, geometric, algebraic & statistical problems
Fees, discounts & support
annual one-off fee
MONTHLY TUITION FEES
- 1 hour of maths tuition followed by 1 hour of English tuition every week
- Lessons closely follow the latest GCSE exam board specifications
- Small age specific key stage 4 groups with a maximum of 8 pupils to 1 tutor
Reduce your tuition fees by up to 85%
1. When can my child start?
You can start at any time of the academic year and your child(ren) will make progress. However, to get the most out of the booster classes we recommend starting at the beginning of the academic year.
2. What year groups are the booster classes for?
3. How long are the booster classes?
Our English and Maths Booster group sessions are 2 hours and 10 minutes long. Students have a one hour English lesson, then a 10-minute break followed by a second hour Maths lesson.
4. How many pupils are there in the booster classes?
5. Which exam boards do the booster classes cover?
Our booster classes are designed to compliment all the major examination boards with a particular focus on boards utilized by local secondary schools. There is a significant overlap in content and material required between the different examination boards, especially since changes to GCSE specifications to the new 9-1 system. The maths topics specified by all GCSE boards is pretty much the same.
6. Do you give homework?
7. How much homework do you give?
Homework will vary on a week by week basis. However, if a child would like additional homework, the tutor can make the relevant arrangements within reason.
8. Will I be informed regularly of my child(ren)s progress?
9. What qualifications and experience do the tutors have?
All our GCSE tutors are subject specialists and the vast majority are also qualified teachers with Qualified Teacher Status (QTS). Our GCSE tutors have experience delivering exam board specific GCSE material for their specialist subject, be it maths or English, within a school-based setting.
10. What will they be taught for English and Maths?
We have carefully planned weekly lessons for the whole year. Topics that are taught are all in line with the current exam board specifications for maths and English. A list of topics can be found at the top of this page.