eleven plus: year 4
Year 4 Eleven Plus Booster
- Tutored by qualified teachers who are 11+ specialists
- Programme designed for the CEM eleven plus examination format
- Small groups ensuring ample individual attention (1 tutor to 8 pupils max)
- Formal assessments with detailed termly reports
- Ofsted registered centres for your peace of mind
What will your child learn?
Our eleven plus year 4 booster class ensures your child builds the foundations for key eleven plus topics that will ensure they are in a very strong position going into the core programme of study in year 5. Tutoring sessions are very targeted towards the eleven plus developing verbal reasoning, English comprehension, maths and non-verbal reasoning skills.
- Parts of speech – Verbs, nouns, adjectives, prepositions, adverbs
- Punctuation – commas, brackets, apostrophes, speech marks, colons, semi-colons
- Spellings – plurals, homophones, prefixes, suffixes
- Awkward spellings – such as ie/ei, double/single consonants
- Word Types – alliteration, onomatopoeia, metaphor, simile, personification, abbreviations, acronyms, synonyms, antonyms
- This area overlaps with English considerably, in these lessons we focus on question types that children will encounter for the eleven plus
- Comprehension skills – understanding words; finding information; recognising main ideas in paragraphs and whole text; sequencing
- Cloze passages – using rules of English; missing letters; missing words; word banks
- Working with numbers – place value; rounding up and down; addition / subtraction / multiplication / division; multiplying and dividing by 10, 100 and 1000
- Number knowledge – square numbers; negative numbers; fractions; factors, multiples and primes; ratio and proportion; introduction to algebra
- Spotting patterns – counting; pointing; shading and line types; order and position; rotation; reflection; layering
- 3D shapes – rotation; nets and cubes
- Question types – similarities, sequences, analogies, symmetry, codes, hidden shapes, matrices, hexagonal grid
Fees, discounts & support
annual one-off fee
MONTHLY TUITION FEES
- 2 hours of weekly eleven plus tuition covering key areas of English, verbal reasoning, maths and non verbal reasoning
- Parents receive regular weekly verbal/written feedback and detailed end of term report
- Small year 4 specific group with a maximum of 8 pupils to 1 tutor
Reduce your tuition fees by up to 85%
1. When can my child start?
You can start at any time of the academic year and your child(ren) will make progress. However, to get the most out of the booster classes we recommend starting at the beginning of the academic year.
2. Does my child have to start eleven plus preparation in year 4, can they not start in year 5?
3. What year groups are the booster classes for?
4. How long are the booster classes?
Our year 4 eleven plus booster classes are 2 hours and 10 minutes long. Children have a one hour of English / verbal reasoning lesson, then a 10-minute break followed by a second hour maths / non verbal reasoning lesson.
5. How many children are there in the booster classes?
6. How will you teach my child(ren)?
Children learn in various ways whether it be visual, auditory, reading / writing or kinesthetic. All our tutors are very experienced with teaching children using various methods to ensure they understand what is being taught. Eleven plus tutors give lots of examples whether it be using the whiteboard, discussing verbally or demonstrating practically.
7. Will my child(ren) receive homework?
8. How much homework will my child(ren) receive?
Homework will vary on a week by week basis. Unlike our English and Maths booster classes, Our eleven plus courses do require considerably more homework to be completed. This starts off slow in year 4 and builds up considerably in year 5.
9. Will I be informed regularly of my child(ren)s progress?
10. What qualifications and experience do the tutors have?
All our eleven plus tutors are fully qualified teachers with Qualified Teacher Status (QTS). In addition to this our eleven plus tutors have specialist knowledge , experience and skills around delivering content relevant to the eleven plus entrance examinations.